I am Mond

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Surprise!

Observations of The Danes No 0.1:

I have noticed that when I am talking to my Danish supervisor and I say something a little surprising (not hugely like I have three knobs but in a technical context) he breathes in sharply for a small duration, which is clearly audible.

I thought it was just my supervisor but when talking to other Danes and "listening" (the obviously speak in Danish which sounds like "huerdy-guerdy-buerdy" to me) to other conversations some of them do it too.

Maybe just in the older generation - that is over 35-ish - though, as I haven't heard the younger Danes I know do it.

Or maybe they all have breathing problems. Probably from too much salt in their diet. God, salt on bloody everything. If a Danish person offers you a "sweet", especially a black liquorice thing, DO NOT TAKE IT.

IT IS MADE FROM SALT.

YES, SALT.

IT IS LIKE PUTTING COARSE SALT INTO YOUR MOUTH THEN CHEWING.


MANK

1 Comments:

  • Hey babe!

    It's lovely, salty sweets! As you know we Dutch people love them too. Looking forward to tasting them in Denmark! It's an acquired taste dear, you'll get used to it (if you let yourself!). Promiss not to kiss you after eating one though;).

    xx

    By Blogger Mariken, at 6:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home